PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The process of surrendering a PPL for a LAPL(A)
Old 24th Jun 2019, 20:13
Sam_MHN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Whopity!,

Nice input, looks like I messed it up with differences and familiarisation.

It will be time to call the local CAA to ask about the conversion or whether they have any news on EASA including LAPL privileges on the PPL.

The pilots I want the conversion for are SEP only pilots, so no ratings would be lost (but they are very experienced, current on tailwheel, biplane etc. that's why I was asking about model crediting).

We will have to weigh up pros and cons to see what the best option is.

A LAPL will only cover SEP and TMG class aircraft there are no Types to transfer.
Sorry, I hope there is no shame in saying my instructional experience in LAPL is zero, I still find this confusing to say the least...

https://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviati...-requirements/

Additional ratings

Licence privileges will be restricted to the class or type of aircraft used for the skill test.

However, you can extend your LAPL privileges if you are endorsed to do so by an examiner, similar to applying for ratings on other licence types.

This wording straight out of PART FCL is very poor IMHO!, so are you restricted to a class or a type? It has to be one or the other, and the difference is huge!

Does then a LAPL need any additional training, or even a checkride with an examiner to be legal on a certain type other than the one used for the course? (type refers to a model i.e. PA28, doesn't it?)

Thanks for your help!!!

Last edited by Sam_MHN; 24th Jun 2019 at 20:46. Reason: typo