PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The process of surrendering a PPL for a LAPL(A)
Old 24th Jun 2019, 18:37
Sam_MHN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up The process of surrendering a PPL for a LAPL(A)

Dear all,

I have found a couple of posts talking about the possibility of surrendering a PPL for a LAPL, both providing nice info, but I would like to hear more if there is anyone here who can explain how the process finally went and what else you have to take into account.

I am in charge of organising this as soon as we can for a few colleages who have turned 60 and want to benefit from extended medical or LAPL certification.

My understanding is that as long as you have a valid SEP, medical and ICAO ELP you are good to fill the form, request the licence and you will receive a new one, no need for proficiency checks or any other hassle. Anyway what is the licence "expiry" date you receive, is it the same one as the PPL SEP one?

FCL.135.A LAPL(A) — Extension of privileges to another class or variant of aeroplane
(a) The privileges of an LAPL(A) shall be limited to the class and variant of aeroplanes or TMG in which the skill test was taken. This limitation may be removed when the pilot has completed in another class the requirements below:
(1) 3 hours of flight instruction, including: (i) 10 dual take-offs and landings; and (ii) 10 supervised solo take-offs and landings.
(2) a skill test to demonstrate an adequate level of practical skill in the new class. During this skill test, the applicant shall also demonstrate to the examiner an adequate level of theoretical knowledge for the other class in the following subjects: (i) Operational procedures; (ii) Flight performance and planning; (iii) Aircraft general knowledge.
(b) Before the holder of an LAPL can exercise the privileges of the licence on another variant of aeroplane than the one used for the skill test, the pilot shall undertake differences or familiarisation training. The differences training shall be entered in the pilot’s logbook or equivalent document and signed by the instructor.
I guess this above could have been put in a more clear way... my understanding is that at LAPL(a) level if you want to move from one variant to another (e.g. C172 to PA28) you just have to certify differences training with an instructor (correct me otherwise), just like we do at PPL SEP level and as differences on PPL-SEP they would be valid for life.

If correct, how does this apply to someone experienced converting from PPL to LAPL, do they get credit for all types on which they have past experience? (no need to certify further training).

With regards to the 10 hours before carrying passengers restriction I think it is common sense to say it does not apply.

That's all, I will be looking forward to your input and opinions. They are very appreciated!

Happy landings.

Sam