PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Group A321XLR order
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2019, 07:06
ECAMACTIONSCOMPLETE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crosscutter
Those 787’s after a refit won’t be tired and time will tell if the new composites have the durability to warrant the criticism of being old.

It is reflective that JQI can’t turn a decent ROIC and be competitive when Maint costs rise and rival carriers get more efficient jets...but somehow QFI can. And this has been my point. Perhaps if QF were given the new jets they would earn a higher ROIC than JQI and that doesn’t feel fair.

When it comes to allocation AJ might be gone.
I’m sure a major part of the business case of having JQ take delivery of the A321XLR to replace the 787 will be the huge savings of essentially having a single fleet type (as far as tech, cabin crewing and maintenance costs are concerned).

To match the capacity of our 11 787s we should only need 18 or so A321XLRs (maybe less considering the A321LRs can cover the Bali flying) so that would leave plenty of airframes for QF to take delivery of too.

It would suit QF well on the golden triangle as well as thinner routes into Asia.

The biggest variable of the fleet plans will be how much range the dense JQ cabin config will actually get as far as whether or not the A321XLR will be able to replace all JQ 787 flying. I doubt it will be anywhere near the 4,700nm stated by Airbus.

MEL and SYD to SGN, BKK and HKT are all around 3800nm and the soon to be launched OOL ICN is further again (4200nm). The HNL flying could be taken over by QF.

I suppose they have 5 years to figure that out!