PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - German pilot killed in Polish air show
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2019, 22:01
Fly Aiprt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wonkazoo
For whatever reasons the pilot did not apply opposite yaw for any sustained period of time and the autorotation continued as a result until FIT.
Agreed.
Yet the airplane finally stopped spinning to the right, but much too low to recover, and even departed to the left.

I have more than 1300 hours in Pitts S2A, S2B, S1S, S1T and S2S airplanes as well as as ton in similar higher-powered types. If you follow the direction "full nose up elevator to quickly stop spinning" you are going to be in for a long ride. The airplane will quickly mush into a deep stall, the autorotation will be sluggish but sustained, and I am guessing (because I have never tried) that you will not have enough rudder authority to overcome the deep stall the non-flying wing will be in
I'll agree that the method you describe in the rest of your message is very close to what we use in advanced aerobatics to stop the spin on-heading and achieve the correct (from the Aresti point of view) vertical attitude.
But we usually don't do full blown multi-turn spins or flat spins in competitions.

Concerning multiturn/flat spin recovery, things are a bit different.
Of course full opposite rudder, and throttle closed.
I can tell you - because I tried - that the "stick aft" recovery technique works in the S2B. I'm talking of spin recovery, so the airplane is already stalled and spinning. And the "stick forward" is not so good an idea.

Of course I'll not suggest you try if you don't feel confident, but yes the technique works.

The following document might be of interest and is in accordance with Eric Müller's "Flight unlimited" chapter on spins.
http://www.sv4.com/Docs/Spins%20in%2...%20special.PDF
As an experienced aerobatics pilot, you know spins are an infinite discussion subject among pilots, even those who never do spins^^!