PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guimbal Cabri G2
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2019, 00:39
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All helicopters are "flawed". That is to say they have design compromises that will bite you if you don't understand them. It is becoming pretty clear that the fenestron on the Cabri is one of those design compromises. Just like the performance limits of the tail rotor on the 206 are a compromise. Or the main rotor system on any Robinson. Or the Squirrely nature of the Squirrel on landing. Or, or, or...

Everyone has their favorite helicopter they like to defend. Everyone has their favorite helicopter they like to hate. Fly and maintain any of them, from Mosquito homebuilt to an MI-26, within manufacturer's limits and you will be just fine. The trick is doing just that. Some are harder than others to do that with. I've got a whopping 3 hours on feneston equipped helicopters between a G2 and an EC130, all after I supposedly knew how to fly helicopters. I found yaw control in the hover to be quite a bit more difficult compared to my first 10 minutes in an R22 before I even knew how to fly one. On the other hand, it still takes all my concentration to auto a Robinson. The first time I auto'd a G2 the entire thing was a yawn. Different helicopters, different challenges.

Bottom line: the truth hurts if it messes with your vision of reality.