PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Erosion of Pay and Conditions - What are we doing about it?
Old 1st Nov 2003, 06:14
Col. Walter E. Kurtz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris, I happen to agree totally with your sentiment.

BUT

1. A union is only a strong as its members. So how do you force what are inherently self seeking selfish people into a collective?

2. What do you do stop stem the tide of ever increasing pilots trying to break out of 'measly' GA jobs and their inherent bull$hit conditions? I see and hear alot of 'don't do it', 'don't pay for your training' etc etc from people whose positions are under threat, but whilst they sit in their ivory towers dishing out advice to the 'barbarians at the gate' what are those people doing to assist or help create a better environment at the lower end of the industry to 'stem the tide'.

I'll tell you - nothing, nientes, nados.

As alot of them probably endured similar crap 'that's GA' conditions, they see that as a natural situation that others should suffer as they did, to 'pay their dues'

These same guys who are now at the helm of a jet aren't even actively protecting their own patch. Hence the deafening silence from QF crews invited to express an opinion on the frontline fight they have on their hand.

'Don't make waves'.

Maybe the way of the painters and dockers is the way to go - bet none of them are paying for their job or working for worsening conditions.