PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways
Thread: British Airways
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2019, 13:40
116d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edi_local
With all due respect, they have 3 retro 747s and planned to fly 3 747s on 3 routes on the 100th anniversary. I think it was pretty safe to assume the 3 747s were the retro colours. I don't know why you seem to think this wouldn't have been the case or that people booked under false expectations. They would have no reason to run 747s on these routes if it wasn't going to be the 3 specific planes that have been painted to mark the 100th anniversary on an event that was specifically being done to mark the 100th anniversary.
I only said it was a false impression because prior to the cancellation there was nothing in the public domain from BA themselves to say that the retrojets would be used - use of 747's yes, but nothing about retrojets was there? Compare that to the announcement about the BOAC 747 being used at next month's Royal International Air Tattoo to perform a flypast with the Red Arrows. It seems strange nothing was announced officially regarding these. When the e-mail went out to passengers announcing the change of time and equipment, it referred to anything special happening on those flights as "speculation on aviation websites". Having been shown what was sent out, I will admit it contradicted itself slightly when it said it will no longer be operated by a 747 despite booking engines in the public domain (including BA's own website) saying it was allocated a 747, which most observers would have noticed is a rare occurrence on a BA domestic flight.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm gutted for those who had booked tickets. I know a few people who booked on because it was a 747 whom got more excited when it was reported on websites it would be the retrojets. I nearly did so myself if only for the opportunity to sample a 747 on a domestic UK flight and any 747 would have been good enough for me.

All that said, besides the refunds (which I felt was good of them to do as no doubt they realised many wouldn't have booked on if it was the normal Airbus equipment) I think it could have been handled a bit better. I don't know the full story behind all this and what led to 747 use on these being scrapped and flight times changing, but hopefully if something like this happens in the future on a special basis it will be announced more officially in good time.

As an aside, I see the Landor-liveried 747 has been ferried back LAS-LHR after being on the ground there for a few days.