PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Don’t make a wrong turn in PEK!
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2019, 22:09
packapoo

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Danger

Originally Posted by His dudeness
I´ve been to China only twice. 2 very different experiences, first time everything ATC wise went absolutely fine. Second time after landing we were "vectored" around the airport by ground control in barely audible/understandable english and the gentleman giving the instructions had our position plus were we should go mixed up. Add to this, night, rain and the fact that my aircraft has no wipers and you´ll find it sometimes hard to maneuver correctly. Also a lot of lighting of airports is simply blinding, at least for my relatively small and low sitting aircraft. And some of the stuff happens real quick and add to this that I think you won´t be able to appeal a decision by a Chines Authority, I think this would made me very uncomfortable should I have to fly to China again.
Punishment does little, understanding why and how mistakes happen is the way, way better approach. Some airports aren't really clearly or consistent labelled too. Remember Linate (CJ2 vs.MD80) ? I was there a few weeks after the catastrophe and some rwy ahead signs were still grown over by long grass. I told the tower and the authorities and 2 weeks later it was even worse (aka no grass cutting had been done) How should the reaction be on that then ? BTW, I have never witnessed a pilot taxi wrong intentionally. Have you ?
Aha! The dreaded Chinglish.......