PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DA40 night over water
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2019, 11:18
ACMS

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Time Map Ground
Perhaps a couple of points worth noting:
  • Flying at A040 does not exempt them from having to talk to AD approach. They would still have to fly through class C airspace after departing PF CTAF.
  • The short flight between PF-KSC might not permit enough time for a climb to A100. For a normally aspirated DA40 to make it to A100 in such a short time, you would need very favourable conditions like high pressure and very low temperatures.
  • Do not forget that light training aircraft like the DA40 are susceptible to airframe and engine icing. Freezing levels down south can easily be as low as 4,000 or 5,000 feet at this time of the year, so it would not make sense to climb into icing conditions.

1/ FZL an issue? Making you fly low over water at night IMC in a single, then perhaps DON’T GO.
2/ pretty sure they tracked initially NE then W then SW at 2,500’ below the CTA step then 4,000’ below the next step.
3/ yes the climb performance won’t be flash BUT they could have waited for a clearance over AD, gone higher and stayed left of the DCT track closer to the coast line and inside glide distance of it.

It doesn't matter I guess, they made it there and back ok, it just seems unnecessary risk that’s all. Something at my age I’ve learned not to take.