PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is the percentage of commercial pilots trained by foreign schools in Australia
Old 30th May 2019, 05:13
glenb

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
Australian Owned Businesses

Hi Dick,
I think you will find it very difficult to extract that information, but here is something for consideration. I had a flying school located at Moorabbin Airport doing approximately 8,000 hours per annum. I remember discussions with Oxford CAE and they were doing almost 90,000 hours and forecasting a 50% increase he following year. From that it would be reasonable to deduce that of the other half a dozen schools at Moorabbin combined, we wouldn't equal those hours.

Similarly if you go to every capital city Perth (China Southern/Singapore Flying College, then shoot over to Adelaide (FTA) or NSW (CAE Tamworth and Port Macquarie (previously Johnsons). These larger organisations are foreign owned and probably account for half of the flying in the respective states.

Consider that TVSA in Victoria, the new Mildura operation, Amintas business, Pearsons at Essendon etc, all sold out to Chinese Interests.

There really can be little doubt that over half the training is delivered by foreign owned Companies.