PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VH- vs. RA-Aus and CASA license vs. RPC, can help connect the dots?
Old 25th May 2019, 02:23
mixed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone able to confirm my interpretation of this thread please.

Goal - If my goal was to own a plane and keep it at a Class-D aerodrome, and minimise flying costs (so assuming an RAA registered aircraft "may" be the answer....).

1. This is actually possible with both an RAA or VH registered plane then correct, i.e. to be based at a Class D airport? (i.e. as long as you have CASA RPL too)

2. For RAA aircraft you would need: RAA pilot certificate to fly the RAA plane + RPL from CASA (with endorsements) to be fly within controlled airspace at a aerodrome with control tower + register aircraft under RAA?

3. Are there not any specific requirements on an RAA aircraft flying into controlled aircraft one needs to have? or once you go through a successful RAA aircraft registration process this will ensure you have everything? Another way to ask this question, if you were looking at buying an RAA aircraft anything to validate to ensure it can fly in/out of controlled airspace?

4. In terms of lowest cost to operate aircraft is it a given to stick to looking at RAA aircraft, or is this not necessarily the case? e.g. could an older Cessna 152/172 (VH registered) potentially be cheaper to run than an RAA aircraft? (operating cost as in: maintenance, registration, fuel, parking, insurance, per year)