PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia Direct Entry FO long haul
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2019, 23:08
bringbackthe80s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MCDU2
Our new joiners (non type rated) are on mid 40s (euros) before the extras such as sector pay. Bit more if they are typed. They get by in Ireland which is one of the most heavily taxed countries in Europe. As a long haul FO in Iberia I would assume you can live in the back arse of just about anywhere in continental Europe subject to their on call rules and 4k would go a long way. Its certainly a hell of a lot better than any TP operator would pay you and you won't be on it for long out of your 20-30 year career. You join a legacy for the career prospects, fleet, command, seniority agreements, pension, union recognition, CV, staff travel etc. Go LCC if you want to earn money straight off the bat but it will quickly plateau and you will then be staring across the ramp at the legacies wondering what could have been as you will be in a financial position where you cannot "afford" to downsize back to year 1 at a legacy. Have met so many people that wish they would have left a LCC after 18 months but never did and now can't shift to somewhere where they can move their careers along.
What he said.
(And I am one of those who’s NOT in a major)