PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US warns airliners flying over Gulf of 'misidentification'
Old 21st May 2019, 04:19
KRviator

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Denflnt
As an American, I don't want your thanks. But I sure as hell don't need the insults. We do the best we can do, more than any other country can say. To be honest, you should be ashamed of yourself.
I think you need to look beyond WW2 and the immediate effects thereafter.

The question a lot of people seem to ask is how much "defence" is really needed as a direct result of perceived "offensive" moves by the US against other countries and to what end? And let's not forget the cost to other countries dragged into the conflict as a result of Bush's "Either with us or against us..." tripe.

A quick Google shows the so-called War on Terror has run up a tab approaching a trillion dollars, not counting several hundred million more in veterans medical costs, all essentially triggered by the 9/11 attacks. No one is saying those responsible for 9/11 didn't deserve to get their arses handed to them, but at what cost? The US loses 10x that number on the roads every year with barely a peep.

When people spend more on firearms (and defending the concept of an archaic phrase in a 200-year-old document about keeping said firearms) than they do on their own healthcare I think as a country you have sorely misplaced your priorities.