PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Passenger offloaded from Air NZ flight for ignoring safety briefing
Old 12th May 2019, 13:56
cee cee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Planemike
I DO NOT SUPPORT DISRUPTIVE PASSENGERS.
I think we all understand you, you do not support disruptive passengers, but do not see tho two passengers in this example as disruptive since they were just sitting in their seats minding their own business whilst pointedly ignoring instructions given by the crew.

You questioned the actions of the crew in offloading said passengers. So I would like to ask how would you handle the situation. You have asked them politely multiple times, and the only reaction you received was the other person putting her fingers in her ears (my ten-year-old child was shocked when he heard this). This action could be reasonable for anyone older than eight years old if the flight attendant was yelling or screaming (no report of that) or if the aircraft was making a harsh, annoying sound (also no report of that). Would you just leave the couple there and do nothing?

If so, how would you handle a "non-disruptive" passenger who refused to put on their seat belt? If they do not put up a fight, but simply ignore requests to do so, what would you do? They are not disruptive passengers by your definition if they are not loud or aggressive or drunk, right? How about someone who leaves the tray down and use their laptop while the plane is preparing to take off? I am fairly sure there are not laws saying that a passenger MUST wear their seat belts or put away their tray tables during take-off . Those are proabbly covered under the same "obeying lawful instructions of the flight crew" regulations.

Also, with regards to your earlier question " Would you accept that sort of treatment if you were in a shop?? ", the answer is "yes, if you do not want to break the law and be reported to Police". Here in Australia, disobeying emergency officers (such as a building warden) performing their duties can get you in trouble with the law. This is true even if there is not an real emergency happening (such as a fire drill). If the warden asks you to throw away that cup of hot coffee you are carrying during an evacuation drill and you refuse to comply, guess what happens.

[And there are good reasons for not carrying food and drinks during evacution. At my workplace, someone was badly scalded during a fire drill when the person behind her spilt freshly made hot coffee down her back, not to mention how spllages make the stairs more slippery.]