PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Passenger offloaded from Air NZ flight for ignoring safety briefing
Old 12th May 2019, 08:52
Planemike

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Oakape
Didn't anyone else see the pictures a little while ago of passengers (lots of them) with the oxygen mask over their mouths only, rather than the nose & mouth. Two different incidents if I remember correctly. So much for 'we've seen this dozens of times & know what to do.' And if you think they can read the card or the signs & work out what to do, I've lost count of the number of passengers I have observed who couldn't figure out where the toilet is & have even seen a few who couldn't undo their seatbelt.
Broadening this out a bit. It comes down to a matter of communication and given the fact millions of people fly all over the world it really is not a simple matter although reading some here you would think it is. Just having loads of authority is not the whole answer. To start off with there is the matter of a language barrier. Before any one raises it: yes, I know there are pictograms which help to convey a message. Then comes the small matter of those who cannot read even their own language let alone a foreign one. One way or another you have to engage peoples attention. Getting the message across is a complex problem, on the whole achieved fairly successfully by the worlds transport industry.

Last edited by Planemike; 12th May 2019 at 10:23.