PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Passenger offloaded from Air NZ flight for ignoring safety briefing
Old 11th May 2019, 16:53
Uplinker

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts
Last from me to Planemike while I wait for my lawnmower battery to recharge......

Originally Posted by Planemike
Uplifter........
Close enough.

Your "modus operandi" .......
Not mine, sir, it is the CAA’s....

..............works fine with troops on a C130. In my view you close your eyes to the fact passengers are there voluntarily.
Whether voluntary or not, paid or not, it makes no difference to the safety standards we are required by law to enforce. When you are in a cinema or in a department store, you still have to obey fire regulations, to take one example.

Very many will play along with you and shout "how high".
Safety is not a game. We are not “playing” at it.

You have problems with the ones who choose to ignore you or shout back " don't feel like jumping ".
What? they would rather stay on a burning aircraft??? All crews and pilots ‘have problems’ with passengers who refuse to follow lawful safety instructions. The law has problems with passengers who ignore safety instructions. We are required to uphold the law.

You will not agree, I am sure but SOME safety procedures have become rituals and the observance of them as a ritual has become more important that any safety advantage they may confer. As always an interesting debate.....
Pilots and crews perform a safety brief or review before every flight - and we might fly six flights in a day.. Even business passengers are unlikely to fly every day, so is it really too much to ask that they pay attention to the safety briefing and follow instructions given by the cabin crew?

Wearing seat belts when we say, stowing baggage correctly, putting tray tables away, putting seats backs upright, opening window blinds, not getting drunk, not smoking, dimming cabin lights before night landings, getting you to sit down when we say; all these and more are done purely for reasons of safety.

Passengers are allowed to visit the cockpit on the ground while the aircraft engines are not running, (as long as we are not too busy). Why not ask if you can next time you are on an aircraft?

Happy flying