PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Passenger offloaded from Air NZ flight for ignoring safety briefing
Old 11th May 2019, 12:07
Planemike

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Uplinker

I know you find this uncomfortable, but passengers - whether they have paid for a ticket or not is irrelevant to safety - MUST obey safety instructions on an aircraft. This is the law, it is not optional. Would you argue with or ignore the instructions/orders from a fireman in a department store, telling you to leave the building? Or instructions from a ship’s Captain telling you to don your life jacket and proceed to lifeboat stations?

99.0075% of passengers are quite happy to follow instructions. However if a passenger refuses to then they must be offloaded because they could become a safety risk to themselves, other passengers or the aircraft itself.

I don’t know the full details in the case of this thread - I wasn’t there - but if a passenger in an emergency exit row refuses to listen and agree to follow safety instructions, then they must be moved from that exit row seat. If there were no alternative seats available and no other passenger was prepared to swap with them, then the original uncooperative passenger would have to be offloaded; we cannot have passengers who pose a safety risk. If they refuse to follow safety instructions, will they also smoke in the toilets for example? A discarded lit cigarette in the waste bin can cause a fire, and fire in an airplane is extremely dangerous and serious.

Every other year on average I have to call police to meet the aircraft on landing to deal with an unruly passenger who refused to follow safety instructions or is acting in a dangerous manner. One charming fellow who refused to fit his seatbelt before landing and was abusive to the cabin crew was last seen on the airbridge shouting at the Spanish police to “speak fxxxxxg English” as he was led away.

Just last week while over the Atlantic the toilet smoke warning suddenly went off. I am sure you can appreciate the seriousness of a fire in the cabin at 37,000’ over the ocean, an hour and a half flying time away from any airport. This despite the safety briefing stating that smoking was not allowed.

So unfortunately, passengers do have to be instructed. We cannot rely on them behaving safely voluntarily - most do, but we can not assume it. You find the manner occasionally too bossy, but perhaps your attitude or behaviour is borderline non compliant or difficult? There simply isn’t time to negotiate safety procedures with every passenger. They are simply trying to maximise your safety.

Just relax.
Uplinker........ Another interesting read...!!! I do not need to be told to relax....thank you !! My aim is to live in a relaxed state and most of the time I achieve that.
My thoughts are set out in several messages on this thread, not necessary to repeat. I am in no way defending those passengers who are "actively unruly" mostly fuelled by alcohol, I am sure you will confirm. As an aside here, have to wonder why alcohol is made so readily available airside in terminals, but of course they would need to forego some revenue if the obvious decision were to be taken. Your "modus operandi" works fine with troops on a C130. In my view you close your eyes to the fact passengers are there voluntarily. Very many will play along with you and shout "how high". You have problems with the ones who choose to ignore you or shout back " don't feel like jumping ". You will not agree, I am sure but SOME safety procedures have become rituals and the observance of them as a ritual has become more important that any safety advantage they may confer. As always an interesting debate.....

Last edited by Planemike; 11th May 2019 at 16:56.