PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hearing Loss
Thread: Hearing Loss
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2019, 16:54
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

Yeah, besides the jet noise, som medications can definitely cause problems, and tetracycline was one that we used a lot for infections in the 'nam days. It seemed to be worse the younger you were.

My own loss was due to one day on the flightline and I apparently got zapped by a T-37. The years of tests narrowed it down within a few months. The cochlea hairs had been damaged, and it didn't help that I flew another 19 years and a few thousand hours in the belly of the beast. My tinnitus is very loud, but I grew used to it and my brain "cuts it out" for the most part. It is also at a higher freq than my major loss, which is top dozen keys on a piano. The Viper was about like the T-37 Tweet, and the initial Thunderbirds started their motors using the back up fuel control unit, as it had much lower frequencies for some reason. And they wanted to start facing the crowd.

The U.S. Vets Administration gives me a little over $100 per month, and that is O.K. considering the small price that I paid compared to many of my friends I started with back in 1964.

Gums sends...