PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Passenger offloaded from Air NZ flight for ignoring safety briefing
Old 9th May 2019, 14:44
Water pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would just caution that having been a witness in a court case, it is not much fun. You have to give a deposition (under the penalty of perjury of course), go to pre-trial conferences with the prosecutor, submit what seems like endless documentation which gets lost and has to be resubmitted, and finally go to trial on a date convenient for the judges and lawyers (which gets rescheduled on a whim it seems like, but if you don't show up you are the one going to jail!) Then you get to joust in front of a jury with a guy whose whole expertise is in making people look like a fool.

Kick them off, ban them, forget about it. Don't go the lawyer route.

Edit: it is amazing how frightening the experience is for someone like me who is not used to giving testimony. There is always that fear that you will make a mistake describing events that occurred years ago and will get indicted for perjury. Even if you tell yourself that it is not a rational fear, it is there. My wife pretty much had a breakdown after her testimony. She was convinced irrationally that some articles presented as evidence were not in fact the articles that we said they were and that the police had for some reason substituted them. Even showing her original pictures of the articles (which had not been substituted) did not help. We got over it but it took awhile.

Last edited by Water pilot; 9th May 2019 at 14:54.