PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2019, 05:44
ThreeThreeMike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wonkazoo
Imagine if your airplane had a third, previously unneeded engine that contributed nothing to the performance, stability, safety or functionality of the aircraft. I'm even going to give us the benefit of the doubt and say you know this third engine exists. If engines 1 or 2 fail you just do everything like you always have. Pull out the proper checklist, do your memory items and find someplace to land. But if engine #3 fails, well then you have 30 seconds to a minute to identify the correct engine, diagnose it and shut it down using an exact mechanism that has zero tolerance for deviation. If you fail to do this exactly right your third engine explodes and rips off the tail in the process and you and your airplane are toast on a stick.

That's what I mean when I say MCAS will try to kill you (it will...) and that's why I believe this is a unique circumstance and finally: That's why I place the responsibility for the entirety of the outcome for both flights at the feet of Boeing and the FAA.
The repetitive hyperbole in your posts masks any real content for discussion that may exist.

The above quoted strawman is not an accurate allegory for the actual events which occur when the MCAS system is activated. It does not demand "zero tolerance for deviation", nor does it require "using an exact mechanism" to diagnose what is essentially a runaway stabilizer trim event.

Mitigation does require correct diagnosis and reaction. The actions of the ET 302 crew were sadly deficient in both regards. Discussion of their response and examination of aircrew training and competency overall is of more interest to me than your insistent claims of nefarious negligence by Boeing and the FAA.