PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2019, 17:31
737 Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MemberBerry
I understand that the memory items are so time critical that you need to be able to perform them immediately. However, when such a procedure contains "ifs" that require you to check if the problem stopped before progressing to the next step, even if you do everything in complete silence without any communication 5 seconds doesn't seem enough.
Okay, since I apparently started this particular discussion point, let me be absolutely clear - again - that just because something CAN be done in 5 seconds doesn't mean it MUST be done in 5 seconds. One of my favorite sayings is, "It is usually more important to do something right than it is to do it quickly." In all "memory item" tasks, it is far, far more important for the crew to proceed methodically and get every step done correctly than it is do it quickly. I am sorry if I gave any other impression.

That being said, the accident crews really did have all the time they needed to execute the runaway trim procedure as long as one of the pilots was actively flying the aircraft, which of course includes actively trimming against the MCAS input.