PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2019, 17:16
MemberBerry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by formulaben
It is very clear you're unable to grasp the concept of how a memory item procedure is conducted; it is certainly not how you suppose it to be. You are conflating a NNC procedure and a memory item procedure. Stop wasting our time sharing your opinions on things you know nothing about. This is rubbish speculation and it is also happens to be 100% wrong.
I understand that the memory items are so time critical that you need to be able to perform them immediately. However, when such a procedure contains "ifs" that require you to check if the problem stopped before progressing to the next step, even if you do everything in complete silence without any communication 5 seconds doesn't seem enough.

I found a study called "LINE PILOT PERFORMANCE OF MEMORY ITEMS" on the FAA's site that discusses among other things two conflicting concerns regarding performance under stress: doing things as fast as possible vs doing things as accurately as possible:

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiative...mory_items.pdf

From the study:
Discussions with pilot participants in this study suggest that the requirement to perform certain actions from memory implies a sense of urgency in the performance of those actions. This introduces another potential source of error due to the loss of accuracy as speed is increased, an effect that is best described by the speed-accuracy operating characteristic (SAOC). The SAOC is a function that represents the inverse relationship between accuracy and speed. As the performance of a task requires more speed, accuracy is reduced until it approaches chance. If accuracy is excessively emphasized, then the time required to complete a task increases greatly with little improvement in accuracy.

Using an emergency descent as an example, an earlier study [2] showed that crews performing an emergency descent from memory took longer to descend than crews using the checklist. The difference in descent time resulted from omission errors by crews performing memory items. They occasionally omitted deploying the speedbrake, causing the airplane to descend slower. On the other hand, crews that performed the procedure by reference to the checklist did not make these errors, but took longer to complete the checklist. Regardless of the time required to read through the checklist, the crews performing the procedure by reference descended to a safe altitude in less time because of the use of the speedbrake.
This was also demonstrated in the Ethiopian flight, with the pilots forgetting to disable the auto throttles as part of the runaway stabilizer memory items.

The entire study is a very interesting read. Sorry if it has been posted here before, I searched the thread and I couldn't find it.