PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2019, 05:26
Uplinker

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by wonkazoo
I have no idea why a few very well-invested individuals here are pounding this drum so loudly and consistently, but for the umpteenth time your incredibly abrasive repetition ignores the fact that in order for your hypothesis to work (If airplane is doing something you don't expect, like, etc...) you need a rational fully functioning mind to interpret the data and act the way you want them to act.....................only works with a human mind that hasn't been incapacitated or significantly diminished.

Someone else has properly offered here that the ET incident may well be traced at it's most basic human factors core to the impairment the pilots experienced....................... I have no idea what particular windmills the small group of devout believers in Turn off the Magic, Set the Pitch, Set the Power, Trim the Aircraft, Monitor the Performance, and Move the Aircraft to a Safe Altitude.
are tilting at, but I can say I wish you would go away...........

Regards-
dce
Human factors are very relevant and the point is surely that when the automation or aircraft is misbehaving and/or the pilots are overloaded and have no idea what the fxxk is going on, the reflex response - when overloaded - needs to be to go back to basics : set a pitch, set a power and check altitude, attitude and vertical speed* This by itself will unload the pilots and enable the recovery phase: “Right the flight path is safe. Now, what the hell is happening to this aircraft?”

Everyone expects all pilots to do this but training and testing no longer ensures this basic requirement - witness the crashes and botched go-arounds of recent years. For more years’ than I can remember the (Airbus) SIM briefing is to use the automation to help reduce your workload. (Although to be fair the Airbus automatics are a lot better than the 737’s, and yes I have flown both).

*I would like to think that I would do this with stick shakers and warnings going on but I don’t know for sure. I for one would welcome much more UAS and misbehaving automation practice.