PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2019, 02:52
FrequentSLF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 737 Driver
Okay, given the flurry of a certain type of comment, I think it would be useful to provide some advice here.

I know some of you have some strongly held positions, and that’s okay. However, some of those positions are based on a theoretical framework, or perhaps something you read somewhere or something someone told you. When those positions stray off into technical matters regarding the 737 or airline operations, please consider the following.

I do not tell my auto mechanic how to fix my car. I do not tell the surgeon how to operate on my body. I do not tell the professional golfer how to perform a tricky shot out of the bunker. I do not do this even if I can tell that the end result was less than optimum. So if you have never actually flown a 737, please do not try to educate me as to how the systems function, how a checklist should be run, or how difficult the aircraft is to operate under certain conditions. It does nothing to add credibility to your position. I have more than 10 years cumulative experience in this aircraft plus another 15+ in other related Boeing products. I have been trained in countless abnormal and emergency situations in that time, and I have experience quite a few real ones in the air. I am quite familiar with the all the psychological and environmental factors that can come into play.

I offer my technical expertise here, in part, so that the commentary doesn’t go off into the weeds on some point that is fundamentally incorrect. In doing so, I may provide information in a simplified fashion to cater to the non-Boeing and non-pilot members of this forum. If you wish to argue the placement and use of switches and controls, whether this step should be done before that step, or whether something can be done in 5 seconds or 5 minutes, please have that discussion with someone else.

The bottom line is that the accident pilots made serious errors and did not meet the expectation of a professional airline flight crew. This statement should be no more controversial than saying that the various engineers and technical staff at Boeing made serious errors in the design of MCAS and did not meet the expectations of their profession. If you wish to label this as “blaming,” there is nothing I can do to stop you. Personally, I’ve seen enough of the culture of blame, and it does little to get to the root of the problem.

You can’t fix a problem until you recognize a problem exists. These accidents, among others, have provided clear evidence that there is a problem with the level of pilot skills in this industry. We can either ignore it, or we can do something about it.
i agree, myself have digressed from my field of expertise and apologize for that, said so I think there are only 4 pilots that could comment properly, unfortunately they are unable to do so...