PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2019, 17:14
derjodel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 737 Driver
Okay, Sully wasn't piloting a 737, but let's say he did. Somehow I just don't think Sully would have allowed his stab trim to run for 9 continuous seconds (that would be 37 spins of the trim wheel) before doing something about it, say like hitting the yoke trim switch with his left thumb. I certainly don't think he would let that happen twice. Maybe we should also note that Sully wasn't piloting Lion Air 610 the day before the accident (same aircraft, different crew in the very first documented case of the MCAS malfunction), and yet they still managed to figure out that when an automated system puts in some stab trim you don't want, it is entirely possible to take it right back out again.
Perhaps one day Sully would offer his perspective. All we know with certainty is that he claims there is a „human factor“ which needs to be takin into account.

i wonder, in case he crashed, how many pilot s here would badmouth him to not turn to la guardia the second after the birdstrike. Well, luckily we won‘t know that.

but in case of ET, it‘s not exactly fair to say they did nothing. Captain called control problems immediatelly and pulled the stick back to counter the trim. At 5:39:55 AP disengaged and mcad kicked in. At 5:40:35 trim cotout was done. Not 35, but 40 seconds. Ok, their human factor was worse than Sullys. But it is nontheless, human factor. Humans are not machines and machines need to be designed in a way to anticipate delayed corrective response.

Btw, Sully switched APU on although it was NOT on the checklist. ET crew tried to re-engage AP. In case Sully failed, i bet he would have been crucified for not following the ckecklist.

very interesting thing, human bias.