PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2019, 13:40
Bend alot

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 737 Driver
Which is precisely why I and others have stated ad nauseum that when a pilot is presented with an undesired aircraft state, ambiguous warnings, or loss of situational awareness, they must be able to, at a minimum, Turn off the magic, Set the pitch, Set the power, Trim the aircraft, Monitor the performance, and Move to a safe altitude, i.e. FLY THE AIRCRAFT. This is the default response to any emergency or non-normal situation when a pilot is unclear as to what he/she should do next. And yes, it is a trainable response.

Performing these actions is no more difficult than executing the procedures for an engine fire/failure at V1, and we should not expect any less from a trained and competent commercial flight crew.
With respect-

You were the only pilot that responded to what "would you do" that maintained the flying pilot position. You gave very little tasks to the non flying pilot and you even did not acknowledge the input that they would have given you. Your feed back was of a one man crew.

Both others that replied handed over to the FO to fly, I expect as they had the accurate instruments not just air speed but pitch - the pilots pitch was incorrect!

Again the pilots pitch was incorrect.