PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2019, 13:39
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by HarryMann
Forgive me but I don't believe this has been asked or answered before, so maybe I'm missing the basics but...

At stick shaker upon or immediately after take-off

Would raising the flaps be expected even when past V2 and apparently accelerating and climbing normally.
Surely an immediate return might be anticipated whilst I acknowledge a desire to cleanup and find a stable and mentally comfortable flight regime.

So surprised not to see this action directly criticised... I can see theres a conflict or choice between wanting adequate speed/thrust setting and sticking with a speed limiting flap setting (i assume).
Well, Yes & No.

The crew have 3 independent IAS indications, and the AOA information in passing by the lower limit speeds on the IAS tape. The AOA is incorrect, and that is triggering an erroneous correction to the Capt's IAS and triggers the disagree messages, the AOA already triggering the stall warning erroneously. The crew understand the aircraft is flying, and a cross check of power/attitude as well as comparison of the Capt/FO and the integrated standby would indicate that the Capts display is erroneous, and using the other sources, cleaning up would be possible. it is also possible that the crew were following established routine and raised the flaps. Once that was done the headaches multiplied rapidly. Either scenario is quite possible. Frequently, a crew will raise the gear after takeoff following a tyre failure or other issue that would contraindicate that procedure. We do tend to follow entrenched routine, even though such routines can be quite easily interrupted.

​​​​​​​