PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2019, 11:57
737 Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaxBritannica
I accept that pilots are trained to react to certain situations in a manner that does not require them to make nuanced decisions. This seems eminently sensible. However, it seems to me that this requires pilots to be sure that they're reacting to the right problem. If you get UAS, along with a bunch of other anomalies you wouldn't normally expect, I think the human brain might hesitate to diagnose. The fact that performing the UAS memory items may have saved the day does not mean that this was clear to the ET crew in the moment.
Which is precisely why I and others have stated ad nauseum that when a pilot is presented with an undesired aircraft state, ambiguous warnings, or loss of situational awareness, they must be able to, at a minimum, Turn off the magic, Set the pitch, Set the power, Trim the aircraft, Monitor the performance, and Move to a safe altitude, i.e. FLY THE AIRCRAFT. This is the default response to any emergency or non-normal situation when a pilot is unclear as to what he/she should do next. And yes, it is a trainable response.

Performing these actions is no more difficult than executing the procedures for an engine fire/failure at V1, and we should not expect any less from a trained and competent commercial flight crew.