PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2019, 11:49
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
I said a bazillion posts ago that there's a chance some pre-knowledge of the Lion Air accident had a negative effect on the ET skipper's actions. Firstly a greater shock factor - due to realising a very specific and serious danger was confronting him. It may even explain, in those frantic moments, why he went for the AP. He may have picked up on the fact it would stop this mysterious MCAS, a problem he thought would not become an issue again in a million years. When at last the AP engaged, it would be only moments before his worst fears were realised. He was replaying the Lion Air accident, and things would be becoming surreal.

I've also mentioned finishing a flight with the stick-shaker going. I was in ink black chop and the noise seemed to suck at my mind, despite being one who loved a challenge to relieve the boredom.

Being in a 1-11 at Palma - V1 Rotate, and seconds later hovering over some buildings to the left. Zero on one ASI, and VMO on the other. We just kind of sopped over these grey hangar-like structures and then climbed away. I issued a met warning and company aircraft all went to Barcelona. And that was it. Nothing ever said about the incident. Even hopping over a bowser in Naples never got a single request for clarification. The bowser appeared out of the heat haze when we were very near V1. No worries, it'll be gone, and then the aaaaaaaagh moment. It was towing an even bigger bowser. Yes, another notch of flap on takeoff works. A bit of nervous laughter and we got on with our day. Different world back then.

The thing is, machines are machines, and they do much what we expect them to do - until one day they don't. But even then, minds world-wide can dig and dig at the probabilities as we're doing here. The mechanical side will make sense eventually, however unpalatable. However, the human side may never make sense. As I look back at my life, human behaviour has been the greatest mystery, and outside of war, my observation of unexplainable behaviour has not surprisingly been in the aviation industry. Bewildering, even unconscionable . . . I can't find a more suitable adjective, much of it to do with keeping the show on the road, or should I say, in the air.

If they do dig deep into Boeing and the FAA, it's probable I won't live long enough to see the last act of the performance. But the fact is, I could leave the theatre early because nothing would surprise me.