PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2019, 11:46
KRUSTY 34

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GordonR_Cape
Thanks for the interesting links, which together shed some light on the current discussion.

I would add another factor, the difference between procedural memory and semantic memory. Pilots will have been repeatedly trained to do certain procedural operations on NG simulators, which become part of ingrained muscle memory. With the introduction of the B737 MAX, there were insufficient simulators. Differences training was done on a computer, which became part of factual recall memory.

IMO the combination of procedural training on a B737 NG, plus semantic training of the MAX differences, may create a mental conflict in determining the right choice of actions. The addition of stress factors, would make the failure to respond correctly much higher.

Reference: Declarative Memory (Explicit Memory) and Procedural Memory (Implicit Memory) - Types of Memory - The Human Memory
Sounds perfectly rational to me.

Over the years I have been witness to some truly ignorant behavior by senior managers, and in turn the organizations they control. In basic terms, the one contributing factor to this baffling loss of corporate intellect, has been the AGENDA!

Did something similar happen at Boeing and the FAA?