PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2019, 22:54
MemberBerry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 737 Driver
Obvious errors were made that had fatal consequences. Since most of us would like to assume that this wasn't a case of malicious or negligent behavior, then presumably there were some significant human factor element behind these lapses.

I am referring, of course, to the various engineers, technical and supervisory staff that designed and approved MCAS for service.
I would like to assume they were not malicious or negligent too. But unfortunately a certain percentage of the population consists of sociopaths and psychopaths. And studies have shown that percentage is higher for people in senior executive positions, going as high as 20% psychopaths among CEOs, for example: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.549ab86d739e. With that in mind, I tend to be very suspicious when I hear a large company has made a "mistake", especially when that "mistake" has the potential to increase the profits of the company. At least until the public becomes aware of it.

You can look at the Volkswagen emissions scandal for example. A lot of people conspired to disregard the regulations to increase profits. I see no reason something similar wouldn't be possible at Boeing. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it turns out Boeing ignored or even deliberately covered up the MCAS safety issues, hoping they wouldn't get caught.