PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2019, 21:58
Phantom Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
737 Driver--
Okay, Sully wasn't piloting a 737, but let's say he did. Somehow I just don't think Sully would have allowed his stab trim to run for 9 continuous seconds (that would be 37 spins of the trim wheel) before doing something about it, say like hitting the yoke trim switch with his left thumb. I certainly don't think he would let that happen twice. Maybe we should also note that Sully wasn't piloting Lion Air 610 the day before the accident (same aircraft, different crew in the very first documented case of the MCAS malfunction), and yet they still managed to figure out that when an automated system puts in some stab trim you don't want, it is entirely possible to take it right back out again.
First, let me congratulate you ( like others have done ) on comprehensive and insightful analysis of this sad episode in aviation . It is just a pity that your observations /advice seem to be falling on so many deaf ears . Hence this thread continues to go round in ever widening circles , with no apparent end in sight .
There is an old saying -" a good workman never blames his tools " ; to that end , we can add the mantra--" Safety is a well trained pilot " .

Continuing on the same path of quotations , there is the favourite from Shakespeare --" Man has oft more need to be reminded than informed " . We forget past lessons easily .

Which brings me to the final , main point , (which you have stressed , in bold type , goodness knows how many times )--FLY THE AIRCRAFT. This is drummed into every pilot from day one . Sadly , this fairly simple piece of advice often falls by the wayside in the heat of the moment . The basics have been forgotten . Now , why this is so is another matter entirely .