PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2019, 16:51
MurphyWasRight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slacktide
How did you arrive at that interpretation of the press release? Because I arrived at the exact opposite conclusion. Boeing has admitted that they screwed up by tying the activation of the AOA Disagree alert to the the selection of the AOA indicator customer option.

I don't see any language in the release that insinuates that this was in any way the customer's fault or that it is to a lack of the customer's understanding.
Agreed that they dont blame the customer in this one, but they seem to just not be able to help themselves when it comes to trying to have it both ways, my bold in quote from release.

Boeing included the disagree alert as a standard feature on the MAX, although this alert has not been considered a safety feature on airplanes and is not necessary for the safe operation of the airplane. Boeing did not intentionally or otherwise deactivate the disagree alert on its MAX airplanes.

The disagree alert was intended to be a standard, stand-alone feature on MAX airplanes. However, the disagree alert was not operable on all airplanes because the feature was not activated as intended.
Reminds me of the classic "a mistake was made" in place of "i made a mistake".
As to safety it would have helped prevent Lion air since it would have flagged AoA on penultimate flight.