PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training Decisions for Future Career
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2019, 07:20
flyingkeyboard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PomWog
Hi all,

I’m going to be moving to Australia (WA) from the UK soon. I’ll have a visa allowing me to live and work, and then I’ll progress onto permanent residency.

I want to get my PPL, and Night Rating out of the way as soon as possible in order to progress onto ME, IR, CPL, and ATPL. My main goal is to aim for a first officer position at an airline but it seems that it may be much harder than it is in the UK. It appears that nobody really wants you in Australia unless you have at least 1000 hours under your belt.

So, thinking logically, the next best thing while I’d build hours is becoming a flight instructor after completion of my CPL. Are there many positions for this kind of work? I’d assume it is a booming market at the moment.

It all comes down to the fact that I don’t want to be stuck with £50,000 worth of licensing without a job in sight.

I’m really stuck with the whole situation and any help to clear it up would be much appreciated!

Thanks.
I have the option of ‘stretching out’ my route to fATPL (due to current career) so the instructor route is something I am considering also. My understanding is that the training path would be: PPL > hour build, NR and ATPL theory > CPL (single engine) > Instructor ticket. When ready, top up with a MEIR and MCC.

I do have reservations about taking this route, namely that you could end up too comfortable working and instructing part time, meaning that you never make the leap to the airlines due to the risk factor.