PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2019, 22:01
FrequentSLF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nyt
The thing is, there would be no need to discuss any of this if it wasn't for these poorly-trained pilots flying one of the thousands of planes ordered. And SLFs decided (so far) that the ticket price covers the risk of flying with less reputable airlines (which again, is probably better for them than not flying at all to get where they want).
As was stated before by a safety engineer, you can address the current situation by more training for a lot of people (increasing costs hence tickets price), and only reducing the risk by a small margin (HF being what is is). Or you can fix the design at a lower cost for everyone (but Boeing), considering that the current average level of airmanship is sufficient. One could say that given the actual safety record of the industry, it is.
I have an issue with increasing ticket price to cover for more training for a lot of people...the bean counters in few years will come with a way to reduce costs to increase profit, reducing the training costs.
The reputable airlines have "forced" Boeing to come up with the MAX, without SIM training in order to compete with AB. I found very difficult to accept that the issue of SIM training/MAX is driven by ticket prices, reputable airlines are probably enjoying bigger discounts on planes. Delta/American/United have reported multi billion dollars net profit in 2018. Spending 60 million of that profit would allow to purchase 2 SIM (5 million each), and perform 10000 hours of training on them (5000/hour). I do not think will break the companies, unless you are a bean counter, than we got to my first paragraph....