PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2019, 14:51
meleagertoo

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts
The systems you mention were all well documented, and have been proven and tested over decades of use. I don't think the same applies to MCAS (yet), and to describe it as a "safety" system is laughable.

My concern is not about whether MCAS is manual or electronic, nor whether the flight controls are manual or not. My concern is the introduction a system with a known delay lag. And secondly one which relies on a pair of
The systems you mention were all well documented, and have been proven and tested over decades of use. I don't think the same applies to MCAS (yet), and to describe it as a "safety" system is laughable.

My concern is not about whether MCAS is manual or electronic, nor whether the flight controls are manual or not. My concern is the introduction a system with a known delay lag. And secondly one which relies on a pair of AOA sensors, with a known inability to produce consistent and reliable readings.
They weren't well documented once upon a time. They started out as new systems once, you appear to be saying its bad just because it is new. I don't follow that 'logic' because there is none.

You stated you distrusted the use of augmentation systems on mechanically controlled aircraft so clearly you thought the control operating method central to your argument. Now you've changed your mind?

Speed trim system operates on a known delay lag. What's so awful about a known delay lag? Pilots operate on a known delay lag...

How/why is MCAS not a safety system - what is stall awareness/avoidance if not safety? And why laughable? Here goes the baseless hyperbole again.

AOA sensors suffer from a known inability to produce consistent and reliable readings do they? This is news to the industry which has been using them for decades. AOA sensors cannot produce consistent readings?????? Do you want to re-consider that extraordinary statement? I sure hope so, but the substance of your post entire is nonetheless reduced to about zero, line by line.

I shudder to think of what it is you engineer with logic and rationale of that standard!

Last edited by meleagertoo; 28th Apr 2019 at 15:08.