PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2019, 12:06
bill fly

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
How it should have been done...

Originally Posted by groundbum
I'm still trying to get my head around how a certification fail of how the yoke feels, somehow led to a bodged computer controlling flight surfaces? Why not introduce a feel system to the yoke to pass certification? Scary how it morphed from one thing to another without a blink.

I'd also love to hear the B engineers side of how MCAS was specced and built and whether they were put under pressure to "just do it". As somebody earlier said, where's the integrity gone?

G
Thank you Groundbum - exactly my view too. As to why it was done the roundabout route via Stab tinkering - this seems long to have been a "fix-all" at Boeing and it was probably the obvious adjustment to them.
And while on the subject - refering to AoA input - what could possible go wrong? a few posts back - well a lot more can go wrong with a rogue input to the stab - as documented over many pages here... than to a feel spring.
If false AoA info were to trigger a false spring resistance, the only result would be a one time hardening of pull input - one time - which could be trimmed out.