PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet Emergency
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2019, 13:35
Imagegear

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by parkfell
For those junior birdmen who have been following this thread, where both pilots and later ATCOs have contributed, it would come as no surprise if you were left a little confused.

For UK pilots, I refer you to CAP413 para 8.9 which deals with the selection of SSR code 7700.
As the EZY was operating within controlled airspace the crew were communicating with ATC then the possible options are possible:

1. Retain the assigned SSR code "at the discretion of either the pilot or the controller".
2. Either the pilot selects 7700 or the controller requests the pilot to do so, for the reasons given in the previous threads.

The suggestion that a pilot would refuse to select 7700 when requested to do so by the controller is simply bizarre.
A visit to the CAA trick cyclist might well prove interesting.

I have had two occasions to declare emergency (MAYDAY)
First occasion with a fire warning in the forward hold. Selected 7700 and then declared emergency
Second occasion was following an engine shutdown when the Scottish controller instructed 7700 to be selected.
Why on earth would you not select 7700 when asked to do so?

Well with my non-participatory hat on, I might suggest that it is because of the volume of additional paperwork, interviews and unwanted publicity that invariably flows from acknowledging the seriousness of such an event.

..and I am outta here.

IG

Last edited by Imagegear; 27th Apr 2019 at 13:45.