PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2019, 04:38
Bend alot

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by GordonR_Cape
I agree with most of your concerns, and have made similar comments myself. The revised MCAS details are still not clear, but there are two "escape" causes that could bypass your argument:
- The first is that MCAS may not be imited to one activation per flight, but can do so again, if a specific set of conditions permit. For example, nose-down trim unwinding, or AOA remaining below the threshold, together with no pilot control inputs for 15 continuous seconds.
- The second is that AOA disagree could be treated as a MEL equipment failure, and mandate landing at the nearest avaliable airport. I have not seen any reference to this, so the implication may be that MCAS is not flight critical, but rather a paper certification issue for a rarely encountered flight condition.

Whether the Joint Authorities Technical Review buy either of these arguments remains to be seen.

Edit: My comment was drafted while other replies to the same point were posted.
Yes details are low!

The fact you actually understand MCAS conditions are not limited to a "run away trim" and actually MCAS is required to meet certification requirements during manual flight and this may require training (hands on), is good to know - seems many do not understand.