PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2019, 21:42
Brosa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Water pilot
The "children of the magenta line" is a real issue in my opinion, but I do not think that it has anything to do with either crash. There is no evidence that the pilots were deficient in hand flying -- that may be a surprising statement to some who have been following this discussion, but "hand flying" doesn't mean "physically crank on levers and wheels to control the aircraft's control surface." That is what the pilots were being asked to do because there was no way to turn off HAL -- all they could do was bypass him by crippling the same controls that they were using and revert to the emergency backup. However, it was not even that simple, now we are being told that the mistake of the Lion Air pilots is that they turned off the power trim system too early and instead should have used the power switches to revert the trim and then turned it off while at the same time blipping it to reset MCAS-- which is what it appears that they were tying to do just before the plane pitched nose down into terrain as HAL came roaring back.
To me it appears that the last crash was a case of "magenta line".

1. Stall warning and stick shaker on rotation
Solution: tried to engage the autopilot at 400 ft

2. Apparantly false stick shaker due to erroneous inputs + unreliable airspeed
Solution: tried to engage the autopilot at 600 ft

3. Still stick shaker due to erroneous inputs from left side
Solution: finally succeeded to engage the left autopilot at 1000 ft

4. Aircraft is grossely out of trim and in an overspeed condition, making it hard to fly
Solution: tried to engage the autopilot

Last edited by Brosa; 25th Apr 2019 at 22:16.