PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2019, 00:43
Bend alot

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by L39 Guy
So what simulator exercises would you incorporate to reflect the differences in the MAX, specifically the MCAS? In other words, there is nothing so uniquely different with the MAX that justifies a new simulator let alone MAX (MCAS) specific training.
The only uniquely different thing is that the MAX could not meet certification requirements without MCAS (or other major changes)- that is a basic fact and not been disputed. No other 737 has MCAS that is a unique feature.

MCAS version 1 had different training requirements as it had a lot of authority and travel (far great was required than design plans) - but it did meet certification requirements with this authority.

MCAS version 2 has a large number of cut out features and is limited to a once of small movement. This puts the question as to have now can it still meet the certification requirements? My guess is it technically can depending on how grey you wish to read the data.

So my opinion is that it is not only possible, but very likely that the MAX will operate in the zone that fails certification limits. Reason is it either will not engage when "required", not input enough travel or be accidentally shut down prematurely.

I would expect that it be appropriate to have simulator training that included the actual stick forces encountered when MCAS did not active or only partially activated - my reasons for this is that this lack of feel is not evident in the previous aircraft and given MCAS involvement will be reduced, there is a greater possibility pilots will be exposed to this insufficient feel that does not meet certification levels.

Most people would find it reasonable to expect a pilot to have experienced flight conditions in the area outside the certification limits, if it is reasonably probable that the aircraft will be in this condition. With the proposed changes to MCAS there are now many conditions that will stop it from operating or only give partial operation, so a far greater possibility of flight outside the certified limit.

One would also assume it very handy to experience the MCAS experience just after takeoff operating normally, then again when it fails to disengage and turns into a runaway.

Might help to get the high AOA on a flapless landing.