PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2019, 19:11
L39 Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bend alot
If you need to buy new simulators to train for the MAX fleet, then the aircraft is different to other 737's.

So Boeing and FAA claims, of they are basically the same and do not require simulator training gets hard to swallow.

Now I can live with larger TV screens and more powerful engines as a reasonable change not requiring simulation, just look at the Toyota Hilux range - different engines and gauges but they drive similar.
But changes like that made on the MAX, to the spoilers and introduction of MCAS (flight controls) should have appropriate training. My personal opinion is a short read and sign on a iPad is not good enough.

Here is a link to the changes.

Boeing 737 MAX - Differences
So what simulator exercises would you incorporate to reflect the differences in the MAX, specifically the MCAS? How about an uncommanded nose down trimming? That is already incorporated in a conventional stab trim runaway, a basic requirement of getting a type rating on any B737. Or how about an unreliable airspeed including stick shaker? An unreliable airspeed exercise is also part of a type rating on any B737. In other words, there is nothing so uniquely different with the MAX that justifies a new simulator let alone MAX (MCAS) specific training. And even if you were to provide this (redundant) training, there is no guarantee that the crews would do the drill anyways as we have tragically witnessed with these accidents.

Not having the exact simulator for training has loads and loads of precedents - I can guarantee that the simulator configurations at a non-airline specific training facility (Flight Safety, CAE, Boeing, Airbus) would be different than what one would find on the aircraft of a particular airline. And even airline specific training facilities often don't have simulators that match their fleet as the fleet may have many configurations. As an example, where I work we have B767-300's with GE and Pratt engines, those engines start and behave completely differently (GE uses N1 as the reference power, Pratt uses EPR). Or an A340 simulator that is used for both the -300 and -500 which have entirely different fuel systems, different engines (CFM vs Rolls Royce), B787 simulators where the -800 and -900 are different (the -900 has more flaps settings for example).

The point is is that is both impractical and unrealistic to have "perfect" simulators; instead one has relied upon professional and experienced pilots to deal with differences between the simulator and the aircraft and also deal with different aircraft within a fleet.