PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAI into Clutha crash opens
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2019, 20:14
Flying Bull

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DeltaNg
I often wonder whether 2 engines have any real tangible benefit in the helicopter world.

For prolonged transits over 'hostile' terrain I can see the rationale - which was originally airline's reasons for having extra engines - but for non-complex operations, there must be statistics that suggest that B206's have done a lot better in some areas ...
Well, the police NRW went for twins after a series singles having problems (crashing)
And even nowadays I d rather have a spare engine operating over congested areas, hovering prolonged times, day and night.
If a donk fails on you it’s just more relaxing having another one keeping you in the air instead of the need to react instantaneously to recover the Nr, getting speed, deciding where to autorotate to (especially at night with NVG).

How many engine failures had I?
One sputtering engine allowing limited power only, on a Bell206 where parts of the compressor housing went through the engine , several times when I tried to increase power - with passengers on board,
One engine to shut down on a Bo105
One engine to shut down on a BK117

The occurrences on the twins were much less stressful, nearly „non events“, except for the paperwork involved...

So ne question for me, what I prefer....