PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southern California fires spreading rapidly (Firefighting photographs)
Old 29th Oct 2003, 05:46
Autorotate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bert - Too late have already gone there. The issues are with the Southern area of command. The Northern and Eastern ones, operators have no problem with them at all.

I have watched this whole thing since Day 1 and you ask any operator that has dealt with the Southern Region, it is the biggest Cluster F**K every year when they try to deal with them. I just got two calls from operators I know within SD County and both have been trying to get their machines tasked onto one of the fires but CDF are still telling them they have it under control, come on give me a break. All you have to do is watch the news.

Yes some of the management are good, ie: the front line guys, but when you get up to the higher levels of management its a whole different ballgame, and I have seen that inept attitude in action there previously.

Here is a great quote from one of the pilots actually working on the fire:

"CDF are treating this fire like its a little grass fire in outback Nevada, not a 100,000 acre fire that has killed 20+ people and destroyed hundreds of houses."

Anyway my two cents worth. By the way take your cow down to SD and you might save a few bucks on the BBQ'ing.