PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A weighty problem .....
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2003, 05:26
Runaway Gun

Location: these mist covered mountains are a home now for me.
Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
BMI

The RAAF judge the build of people by their BMI. The Body Mass Index is calculated as the Weight (kg) divided by the Height Squared (in metres).

When I joined I was 83kg, and was 1.83m tall. This gave me a BMI of 24.8 which (if I remember correctly) was just on the verge of being overweight. Whilst hardly musclebound, much of that weight was from working out in the gym, and it certainly seemed ridiculous to me to be classed as such.

RAAF Physical Training Instructors are often very heavy for their height as a result of bodybuilding, and they too get a hard time from the medical community. They can all to easily be classed as OBESE, and yet have less than 4% body fat....

Things get a little easier once you are in, and the Doctors MAY begin to treat you with some common sense. I won't dare reveal to you all what I weigh NOW - some 12 years later !!

Your friend may have to lose some weight, but she shouldn't have to lose her fitness in doing so. And once she's in, she can make use of the excellent gym facilities to get back her preferred build, assuming it stays within ejection seat limits.