PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southern California fires spreading rapidly (Firefighting photographs)
Old 29th Oct 2003, 04:33
Autorotate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On one of the other helo forums someone made a comment not to blame the CDF, because the State took awya some of their funding. Here is my response to that.

Your comment that CDF isnt too blame for the escalation of the San Diego fire is a crock of ****e.

I know for an absolute fact that when the initial fire started, ie: when the guy who fired the flare was picked up, the San Diego County Sheriff sent a helicopter with bucket to put out what was then a small fire about the size of half a football field. CDF Air Ops told the helicopter crew DO NOT go out there because of rules and regs, and this is documented on the Call Centre printouts. This was approx two hours before sunset. They were told that CDF would handle this in the morning. Well come the morning it is a hell of a lot bigger and has developed into what you see now.

The other issue is I can tell you three operators, one based in nereby Nevada, OAS approved, pilots carded etc etc who have called CDF Air Ops TEN (10) times saying that are available to help. Every single time they have been refused and told CDF have it under control. Now this is arrogance at its best. A lot of people are asking a lot of questions about the fires and especially why they have NO helicopter assets. The total number of helicopters being used in SD County are approx five, thats right five bloody helicopters, and with operators all over the place saying Hey we are available. And yet CDF dont want outside help.

Even though SD County was screaming for air assets the State had TWO MAFF equipped C-130s sitting on the ramp at McClellan but the Governor wouldnt release them to go and help. No wonder the State voted him out.

I hope CDF get all their funding cancelled and leave it up to private industry.

General consenus from those I have spoken to have said that CDF is dragging this out so they can use it to get more funding from the Government. If thats the case then those in charge need to be charged with murder and arson.

Just my two cents worth. I have a lot of friends in SD and am in regular touch with them, and this inaction by Government related agencies is pure self serving at its best.