PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA DEP A320
Thread: BA DEP A320
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2019, 13:34
Raph737

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MaverickPrime
Stocious, whilst I very much welcome the fact that BA have opened the door to all of us wannabes; having to pay for a TR is as insulting as the 2.7% pay rise BA have offered their pilots with the backdrop of record profits.

Incidently, do you happen to know what folks who are successful through this scheme are likely to earn? I would very much hope to be starting on the same pay as an experienced DEP after having paid for my rating.

I wouldn’t be able to submit an application to BA as I can’t afford the £18k. I will however submit an application to Ryanair, if I’m successful, they will charge me a €5k bond and will pay me £75k in my second year on a 5/4 roster. How many years would I have to be at BA to have that sort of control over my roster?

I absolutely do not pin the downsides of the BA scheme on the recruitment team. I pin it on Alex Cruz and the other greedy muppets at the top.

I am sorry to burst your bubble, but Ryanair aren't keeping their promises, as expected. Be very careful and make sure you read the contract in detail before signing it.
You will be on a reduced salary until you reach 500+ with the company, they won't tell you that until later. The 75K is "average", depend on your base and contract etc. You will also have to fork every cost associated with you starting the job. I have just renewed my airport car park for example and it cost me an arm and a leg. If you factor the money spent on car park, ID costs (they say they give you back, I'm still waiting), uniform, accommodation during training(even for during your recurrent sim checks you have to pay), food/drinks daily, you'll be earning the same as a BA FO.

BA will offer loss of licence insurance, car park, life insurance, hotels whilst on duty including training, medicals, ID costs, crew meals etc....
Also, the 5/4 works if you're based home or somewhere commutable to/from home. Most likely you won't get the base of your choice! Only one guy from my type rating got his home base of choice. You will lose two days commuting and staff travel is not available until you complete six months. Also, jump-seating is for operational use, some captains get funny...
No night-stops, which is nice for someone who has children but you cant help to feel like a bus driver ( subjective).
The environment at my base sucks, you'll get abuse from LTC's(many shouters out there) as a lot of them hate the company but are "stuck" to their high salaries. They genuinely don't like training anymore but its a good gig money wise to end their careers. People are miserable, cabin crew a bullied by the company and every week I speak to one or another who were "let go" because they dared calling sick when...they were sick.
Another example of how much of a joke the airline is, the past two days, crews were told to pack a pillow due to the disruption in Portugal( fuel tankers strike), as they may have to sleep in the crew rooms/aircraft. They cant even provide hotels for their crews during disruption...

Trust me, if you can get the 18K, do it, you'll be better off long term!

Last edited by Raph737; 17th Apr 2019 at 13:41. Reason: spelling