PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2019, 14:43
YYZjim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a life-long apostle of Boeing (I am just a private pilot), I feel betrayed by this MCAS fiasco. They abandoned their bedrock principle that pilots can take over complete control if and when they want it.

My suspicion that Boeing is going to get off the hook frustrates me even more.

But, history shows that Boeing will survive this. Remember 737 rudder hardovers?

1. March 1991, United585 in Colorado Springs. It rolled to the right on approach and crashed. What shocked everybody was that the NTSB could not figure out the cause. Their final report (December 1992) guessed that it might be: (i) loss of directional control, or (ii) turbulence.
2. September 1994, USAir427 in Pittsburg. It rolled to the left on approach and crashed. While the second investigation was still underway, there was a third incident. In June 1996, Eastwind517 experienced two episodes of rudder reversal while on approach to Trenton, New Jersey. With the help of a live pilot and a malfunctioning aircraft still in one piece, the NTSB had some clues. Their final
report (March 1999) implicated the PCU servo.

It's long since forgotten now (that's the point of my post), but the 737 was thought to be dangerous. Even the travelling public knew that it could without warning fly you into the ground.

The MCAS crashes will be easier for the public to digest. There is no unknown to fear. Boeing made a big mistake, but at least they knew what they were doing.
Pilots who were more experienced, or faster with their NNCs, or better trained to carry through the action items on the checklists, might have saved the day.
As soon as the public hears that Boeing has fixed their mistake and believes that all pilots know how to handle the fix, the re-branded MAX will be airborned once again.

But, I still feel B-trayed. Growing within me is a little more willingness to look at A's design philosophy.