PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2019, 05:25
Lord Farringdon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by George Glass
Lots of people getting upset at experienced B737 drivers being “ judgmental” and assuming they would have done better.
Well, back to basics.
- Stick shaker on rotation. Do NOT engage the autopilot.
- Commence Airspeed Unreliable Checklist.
Yes you DO reduce thrust to 80% and maintain 10 degrees nose up.
The procedure is specifically designed to keep you flying at a safe speed and rate of climb. Just do it.
Disconnect the auto throttle as per the checklist.
-Fly the aircraft
-DO NOT maintain straight and level with autopilot and autothrottle engaged and allow aircraft to continue to accelerate to VNE while failing to ensure terrain clearance.
-Uncommanded Trim? Complete Runaway Stabilizer checklist as per training and specific Boeing recommendation in AD briefing we have all read ,and presumably understood ,as a result of previous accident.
-DO NOT allow airspeed and trim status to runaway to the extent that recovery becomes difficult or impossible.
Anything so far beyond the wit of a well trained Pilot?
Am I a Boeing troll? No, just an experienced B737 Pilot who still cant understand how you can get an aircraft so out of shape.
What do you think we get paid for?
All good George and seems sensible and expressed by numerous other 737 drivers in this long thread. Especially the 80 percent and 10 degrees. I mean that's just physics isn't it. On a dark night (terrain allowing) you can keep the blessed thing flying while the rest is sorted out. But one thing I wonder about. Is that power and pitch based on any given percent MAC being inside the authorised Cof G envelope? I mean, if you are unknowingly heavier than MAXTOW and with a C of G outside the envelope, in a hot and high airfield with V2 calculated to occur a little closer to the end than you would normally like, is that checklist going to help you stay airborne while you establish why your airspeed has gone to crap and the stick is shaking? Not saying that was the case in this event (especially with in daylight and CAVOK) but seriously just wondering how quick you need to decide that UAS checklist may not be your first and best port of call when the stick is shaking and your decaying airspeed is actually reliable! I suppose a wing drop like Cubana de Aviación Flight 972 might be the teller but I imagine it's all a bit late by then. An agressive pitch up immediatley after take off might also be a clue. Serious question, not trying to be smart a*** . (Ex Mil Loadmaster C130/B727).