PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Current retirement figures.
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2019, 18:19
Slasher1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
CXorcist makes some very good points - my only issue is that I can't think of a single Airline CEO or Board that would see good income figures as a reason to pay their staff more than they absolutely have to.

The old days of reputation, style, image are passing in all but a few, very upmarket industries (such as watches and handbags and maybe hotels)

Personally I regret this deeply - the rise of modern management, high finance and MBA's has seen a terrible cost in jobs, stability, and respect for both workers and customers IMHO

Unfortunately that's the modern world, across the board , and we have no choice (short of winning the Lottery) but to work within a system which is quite unpleasant I'm afraid.........
I don't know that I agree with this; at least in terms of doom and gloom for the pilot market.

There are certainly great paying jobs out there -- particularly with US majors. If pay is what you're looking for. So there are great economic opportunities. AND you have to realize that pay is a relative thing--absolute values are completely meaningless because they have to be taken in context to where one lives. Even within a country, there is a HUGE cost of living difference (cost for a certain desired standard of living). What may take 50,000 units in one place can take in excess of 400,000 in another location--even in the same country. Hong Kong is cost of living in most nations' higher priced venues on steroids.

There is ALSO a great deal more to life than just pay.....much much more.

A person spends a great deal of his or her time working. I can think of few things worse than being miserable under job conditions one hates. So if you can't enjoy what you're doing--or somehow make it in to something you DO like doing--I think you're pissing away your life. And will greatly regret the decision not to move on to something you DO enjoy.

You have to remember the person who makes your future is YOU. One can sit and whine about how things suck, or one can take actions to live a life of fulfillment one enjoys.